List of events canceled, postponed in Houston-area
Several events have been canceled or postponed amid the growth of concerns regarding coronavirus.
For the events that required tickets, ticketholders should follow refund instructions from the vendor.
Emergency health declarations were announced Wednesday for the city of Houston and Harris County in light of the first non-travel related coronavirus case in the region.
Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner and Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo made the announcement as word got out of the abrupt closure of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, a large-scale, 18-day event attended by millions of people each year.
List of affected events
- Harris County District Courts have suspended jury service from Friday, March 13 to Friday, March 20. Jurors who have received a summons for these dates do not need appear and do not need to reschedule.
- Houston Ballet has decided to cancel this month’s performances of Forged in Houston and move the dates to May 21-31.
- The Alley Theatre has canceled all performances, events, camps and classes through March 31. All scheduled events after March 31 are expected to take place as planned.
- The McDonald’s Houston Children’s Festival has chosen to postpone the April 4-5 Downtown Houston event due to the coronavirus.
- Annual CERAWeek conference
- Greater Houston Partnership cancelling all events through April
- SXSW festival
- Tour de Houston (rescheduled)
- 18th Annual Run for the Rose reschedule for October 18
- Bayou City Classic
- Fans will not be allowed to attend any March Madness games
- All events have been cancelled at Discovery Green through April 1, but The Roller Rink, The Lake House and The Grove will stay open.
- The Bayou City Art Festival scheduled for March 27-29 in Memorial Park has been postponed.
- Lakewood Church canceled public services for Saturday, March 14 and Sunday, March 15. Services will be streamed on the church’s Facebook page, YouTube and online at LakewoodChurch.com.
- The University of Houston has canceled its Frontier Fiesta 2020 due to COVID-19 and emergency health declaration
The NCAA released a statement:
— Inside the NCAA (@InsidetheNCAA) March 11, 2020
- Project Row Houses canceled the opening event and market for Round 51:Local Impact II on Saturday, March 14; Expected to resume Wednesday, March 18, 2020 from 12-5 p.m.
- Tomball German Festival
- Grand Slam/Astros Fun at Bat for Youth Baseball events scheduled for March 12 – 31
- H-Town Soccer for Success Academy Monday scheduled for March 12 – 31
- Youth Soccer Tournament/Soccer for Success Tournament at Mason Park scheduled for March 14 – 15
- Hands Percussion Malaysia on March 20 and Noche Caliente with Ismael Miranda on March 21 at Miller Outdoor Theater will be postponed
- Mandala Earth Flow at Emancipation Park on March 28
- Heights Kids’ Day of Music at Love Park on March 28
- Trash Bash at various locations on March 28
- Children’s Festival at Sam Houston Park from April 4 – 5
- Japan Festival Houston at Hermann Park, from May 2 – 3 is postponed potentially to the fall
- The Montgomery County Fair has been canceled