• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Daily Houston News
  • Houston
  • U.S.
  • International
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Latino
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Houston
  • U.S.
  • International
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Latino
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
Daily Houston News
No Result
View All Result

How ISIS leader al-Baghdadi’s headless body was ID’d minutes after death

Leandro by Leandro
October 29, 2019
in International
How ISIS leader al-Baghdadi’s headless body was ID’d minutes after death
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

After years of intelligence gathering, U.S. Special Operation Forces had no doubts the mutilated body of a man killed during Saturday night’s daring raid in Syria was the long-sought ISIS leader, employing new technology and DNA testing to positively identify Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi’s headless remains almost immediately.

While the commandos had visually identified al-Baghdadi before he fled down a dead-end tunnel with three children — where he was found “whimpering” and trapped before detonating a suicide vest — that wasn’t enough. Various accounts have told of his death in the past, only for him to surface yet again.

“There wasn’t much left,” President Trump said of al-Baghdadi’s remains during a Sunday morning news conference following the raid, “but there are still substantial pieces that they brought back.”

Al-Baghdadi’s head remained intact following the blast, allowing commandos to use biometrics, specifically facial recognition, to immediately identify him, Jennifer Griffin reported.

Biometrics is a method of authenticating a person’s ID that uses human features such as fingerprints, facial recognition or other physical characteristics.

U.S. forces can use an image taken of a terrorist or suspect to search databases of photos the military has built up over time to match the individual’s identity, according to the Army Times.

But the soldiers didn’t just rely on biometric analysis.

Trump said they had brought along samples of al-Baghdadi’s DNA. It was unclear how they obtained the ISIS leader’s DNA, but a U.S. official told The Washington Post on condition of anonymity that it was voluntarily provided by one of his own daughters.

The blast from al-Baghdadi's suicide collapsed part of the tunnel he had fled down, leaving his mutilated remains buried underneath a pile of rubble.  (Al-Furqan media via AP, File)
The blast from al-Baghdadi’s suicide collapsed part of the tunnel he had fled down, leaving his mutilated remains buried underneath a pile of rubble.  (Al-Furqan media via AP, File)

“They did an onsite test because we had to know this,” Trump said. “And it was a very quick call that took place about 15 minutes after he was killed, and it was positive.”

“It was him,” Trump declared.

After Navy Seals killed Al Qaeda leader Usama bin Laden in Pakistan in 2011, it took eight hours to make a positive identification through DNA analysis, The Washington Post reported in 2013, citing a top-secret U.S. intelligence document. Samples of the terrorist’s remains had to be physically taken to a U.S. military DNA lab in Afghanistan to provide a conclusive match.

Since then, advances in technology have allowed for so-called on-the-spot DNA testing, which dramatically cuts down the processing time for results.

President Donald Trump is joined by from left, national security adviser Robert O'Brien, Vice President Mike Pence, Defense Secretary mark Esper, Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley and Brig. Gen. Marcus Evans, Deputy Director for Special Operations on the Joint Staff, in the Situation Room as they monitored developments in the U.S. Special Operations forces raid that took out Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. (Shealah Craighead/The White House via AP)
President Donald Trump is joined by from left, national security adviser Robert O’Brien, Vice President Mike Pence, Defense Secretary mark Esper, Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley and Brig. Gen. Marcus Evans, Deputy Director for Special Operations on the Joint Staff, in the Situation Room as they monitored developments in the U.S. Special Operations forces raid that took out Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. (Shealah Craighead/The White House via AP)

In 2015, SOCOM revealed the use of new types of portable DNA labs that could produce results in just 90 minutes rather than weeks of waiting, Defense News reported at the time. The devices at the time weighed about 120 to 200 pounds and cost about $250,000 each.

“It’s a groundbreaking, game-breaking technology,” Michael Fitz, SOCOM’s program manager for sensitive site exploitation, told the outlet at the time.

He hoped that advances in technology could soon produce smaller, lightweight devices.

It’s unclear what type of devices were used during the al-Baghdadi raid to positively identify the ISIS leader.

Leandro

Leandro

RelatedPosts

Djo’s “End of Beginning” tops Spotify charts following Stranger Things finale
Entertainment

Djo’s “End of Beginning” tops Spotify charts following Stranger Things finale

January 6, 2026
Vince Zampella, Co-Creator of Call of Duty, Dies in Car Accident in California
Entertainment

Vince Zampella, Co-Creator of Call of Duty, Dies in Car Accident in California

December 23, 2025
Air India Plane Headed to London Crashes After Takeoff With 242 on Board: “No Apparent Survivors”
International

Air India Plane Headed to London Crashes After Takeoff With 242 on Board: “No Apparent Survivors”

June 12, 2025
MasterChef Celebrity México 2025: Iram Mendiola Bids Farewell in the Season’s First Elimination
Entertainment

MasterChef Celebrity México 2025: Iram Mendiola Bids Farewell in the Season’s First Elimination

March 31, 2025
Privacy Risks of Converting Photos to Ghibli Style with ChatGPT
Entertainment

Privacy Risks of Converting Photos to Ghibli Style with ChatGPT

March 31, 2025
Erik Per Sullivan, Dewey from “Malcolm in the Middle,” Will Not Return for the Show’s Revival
International

Erik Per Sullivan, Dewey from “Malcolm in the Middle,” Will Not Return for the Show’s Revival

March 25, 2025
Facebook Twitter Youtube RSS

Browse by Category

  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Houston
  • International
  • Latino
  • Living
  • Local
  • News
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • U.S.

© 2023 Copyright Daily Houston News

No Result
View All Result
  • Houston
  • U.S.
  • International
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Latino
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

© 2023 Copyright Daily Houston News